Thursday, March 22, 2012

So long, Head Start!

My eight weeks at Head Start are over, but my thoughts still go to the children and teachers I met and became friends with during that time.  It is a wonderful thing the program does for the children and their families.  Attending a Head Start staff meeting lead me to tears when hearing of the families that have bene touched by the program.
It's philosophy is to better the lives of the children not only through their stay at school, but by reaching out to the parents as well.  I never got to meet any parents because the children are bussed in, but I could tell that the teachers had a good relationship with the families. 
Due to my education from JCCC, it was easy for me to see the many things that were certainly not considered "Developmentally Appropriate Practice," and due to my experience with children living under the poverty threshold, I was able to see the overall head start (punn intended) that these children and families were receiving.  The program is trying to help the children to like school so that they stay in school.  Many of the children would be staying at home with little school-realted work, so when they come to Head Start, they are being exposed to what they will be doing for the next 13-15 years.
I applaud the faculty at Harmony Early Childhood Center for making me feel not only welcome, but needed and appreciated during my time there.  As soon as I was becoming attached, it was time for me to leave!  I will most-definitely be back to visit.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand how you feel about the HS program. It is not my favorite type of curriculum, but understanding who the program works with, the situations many of the children and families are in and knowing that the children are being exposed to a positive educational environment has changed my way of thinking. The children grab onto your heart and they will never let go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it is important for the preschoolers and their families to be intersted in school. if Head Start can make school a positive, it will help the families in the long run. At Olathe's Head Start every Thursday night the center was open for dinner and guest speakers for parents to go to while the children played in one of the rooms with the staff. This is a plus for parents to gain knowledge and important parenting information to help their child succeed in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I didn't know that. How wonderful! I truly respect all the wonderful things Head Start does for it's families, I just don't think the curriculum is age appropriate. I was drawn to it, though, because I am moving on to my elementary education degree.

    Jackie, I still have fond memories of the children I worked with years ago. I wonder what sports they play now, what they look like, and if I could recognize them today. I'm sure I would, I have that sometimes-awkward ability to recognize people from my Kindergarten class that don't know who I am.

    ReplyDelete